Subject: News from NI Region of U3As
To all U3A chairmen/ secretaries
1) Lila Jackson has arranged that an inter-U3A quiz will be held in Robinson’s (opposite the Europa bus/rail station) on Tuesday 10th February. This will involve a buffet lunch at 12 noon followed by a quiz, ending at 4pm. Full details will be available nearer the date.
2) A new Shared Learning Project is proposed, one which it is hoped will involve someone from each U3A. It will look at recent Public Art (not murals), why they are where they are, what the locals have called them, who commissioned them, who produced them, what people think of them. The project has the support of the NI Arts Council. A brain storming meeting is planned for 29th October. Will you please pass on this information and ask those interested to contact me.
3) A second agreement has been made with Libraries NI, up to April 2016, allowing U3As free use of library facilities where these are available. This is on the understanding that U3A members who use the facilities are library members and you are asked to remind your members of this.
4) Stuart Pollard attended the National AGM earlier this month and reports two particularly good pieces of news. One is that capitation fees are likely to remain unchanged “for the foreseeable future” and the other that U3A membership in Northern Ireland in the past year grew by 11%, pipped only by Scotland with 12%.
5) A working group will be set up to organise an inter-U3A summer school in 2015. Will those interested in being involved please contact me.
6) A small meeting was held earlier this year to discuss matters relating to registration with the Charities Commission and with HMRC for Gift Aid and to share experiences. Registration is an ongoing process and if any U3A would like to participate in a second such meeting, please let me know.
Further details of these are available on the website http://u3ani.info
Secretary, NI Region of U3As
028 4461 3160